Mexican Mafia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Language of Inmates

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Emilio Barrera
Admin

The Language of Inmates Empty
PostSubject: The Language of Inmates   The Language of Inmates EmptySat Jul 29, 2017 11:38 pm

I've realized that most, if not all current veteran inmate characters aren't roleplayed very differently from fresh inmates when it comes to the language used. On most prison yards across the U.S. above a Level 2, the way inmates speak to each other is rather distinct and might be surprising to people on the outside looking in.

We all know that people who grow up in a low income environment and spend a lot of time on the streets, e.g. gangbangers, tend to swear a lot and casually disrespect each other all the time, paying it no mind. This changes in prison though because prison is all about respect, and one of the primary ways through which respect or a lack of respect is demonstrated is the way people speak to each other. Experienced inmates speak very respectfully to each other, even if they are from rival cars. They tend to take a very old fashioned and conservative view of swearing, i.e. there's not really such a thing as casual swearing and to use 'offensive language' is genuinely considered offensive.

The progression of the average Level 4 inmate's vocabulary would probably go something like this in my mind: An inmate who's been in prison for about two years has probably started to use curse words and generally offensive language a lot less. Words like 'punk' and 'bitch' are included under this, and there is no casual way to use these words. If you call someone a punk you're basically calling them out and probably challenging them to a fight. An inmate who's been in prison for five years has probably began to use a lot less slang and speaks in a rather mature way. Some may not even use contractions anymore (e.g. "do not" instead of "don't"). An inmate who's been in prison for more than ten years can often have a rather developed vocabulary, using complex language and having high-brow discussions. Their development only progresses from here. On the other hand don't make the mistake of thinking that people like Rene Enriquez are common even in the elite ranks of the Mexican Mafia. While he's not a unique individual, somebody with his inherent eloquence and arguably inherent intelligence is certainly rare and probably only a few of the most senior carnales are alike to him.

My reasoning for this phenomenon of language development among prisoners is a) initially they adapt to the respectful environment demanded by yard veterans, thus stop swearing and using other disrespectful language and b) most programs require their members to read actively, it's considered as important as working out. After 10 years of studying constantly, I imagine inmates learn a lot - including words and how to use them. For younger inmates, studying for and getting their GED probably also contributes to this.

I suggest people start putting some thought into how their character would speak based on their prison career. I've slacked off a bit in this department myself.

Last edited by Emilio Barrera on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Emilio Barrera
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Language of Inmates   The Language of Inmates EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Small edit made in regards to senior inmates and carnales.
Back to top Go down
Dennis_Ayala
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Language of Inmates   The Language of Inmates EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Good shit, punk.

On a serious note I think it depends a case to case. I have read that plenty of carnals are far from being smart, to put it bluntly. Those who have been in prison more than ten or twenty years tend to become odd. One of the reasons are the constant segregation, especially if you have been locked up in the hoyo for the last five or ten years. It definitely destroys you. But yeah, the longer you stay in prison the more you learn. You gain experience how to conduct your business and how to represent yourself on the yard. I think it is more like talk less, do more and stay away from unnecessary trouble, especially if it involves your ranfla.
Back to top Go down
Emilio Barrera
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Language of Inmates   The Language of Inmates EmptyMon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 pm

My main intention was to highlight how seriously inmates take swearing and disrespectful language so that people might incorporate that into their roleplay. I just included the development of how inmates articulate themselves in general as a related note because it's definitely noteworthy. You're definitely right though, plenty of carnales aren't/weren't that smart and just got to where they are/were as a result of how ruthless they are/were. I would think those members are often outplayed and outpoliticked by the more 'intelligent' members.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Language of Inmates   The Language of Inmates Empty

Back to top Go down

The Language of Inmates
Page 1 of 1